Funeral and Memorial Music
One of the most important elements of a memorial service is the funeral music. Music is the medium that captures and expresses heartfelt emotions that one cannot put into words. Funeral music is universal in its appeal for setting the tone of a service. Its audience is always impacted on an emotional level that is both touching and memorable. Although solemn hymns are traditionally played at funerals, upbeat songs are also appropriate. Today, many families and friends are choosing hip music for a funeral service. Music for funeral services with a happy tone can reflect the personality of the departed one or feature a loved one's favorite tunes.
Where to Find Funeral and Memorial Music
Music for funeral services can be found from a variety of sources. Many funeral homes offer a wide selection of music, including Christian gospel music, instrumentals, classical music, hymns, jazz, country rock and pop music. There's a good choice of funeral music that you can download at iTunes. There are also popular songs like "Angel" and "Angels Among Us" for music for funeral services that can be purchased as MP3s at Amazon. If you prefer to use several songs, a CD can be burned. Many people like to present CDs at a funeral service as a keepsake. You can also hire a private funeral musician to play your desired music at a loved one's memorial service.
How to Select Funeral and Memorial Music
Choosing the type of funeral music for a loved one is a personal choice, and there's really no rule of thumb to follow. Most people choose a style of funeral music that captures the essence of a loved one, just like Elton John sang "Candle in the Wind" at Princess Diana's funeral service. As in other industries, the trends for funeral music have evolved from traditional to contemporary. Traditional hymns like "Ave Maria" and Frank Sinatra's popular "My Way" are being replaced with contemporary Christian gospel tunes, rock music and country western songs.
Country Music Funeral Songs
Country music is always filled with sensitive sweet words that add a touching tone. If you like country music or if your loved one was a country music fan, this type funeral music is the perfect fit. Here's a list of some popular country tunes for funeral music along with some of the lyrics:
- "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban: "You raise me up so I can stand on mountains. Your raise me up to walk on stormy seas. I am strong when I am on your shoulders. You raise me up to more than can be."
- "I Will Take You Home" by the Grateful Dead: "Your daddy's here and never will forget you. I will take you home. Gonna carry you back home in my arms. I will take you home."
- "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton: "Would you hold my hand if I saw you in heaven? Would you help me stand if I saw you in heaven? I'll find my way through the night and day cause I know I just can't stay here in heaven.
- "Angels Among Us" by Alabama: "Oh, I believe there are angels among us. Sent down to us from somewhere up above. They come to you and me in our darkest hours, to teach us how to give, to guide us with the light of love."
- "Godspeed" by the Dixie Chicks: "Godspeed little man, sweet dreams little man. Oh, my love will fly to you each night on angels wings. Godspeed, sweet dreams."
Rock Music for Funeral Services
Classical rock music is becoming quite hip at funerals. If your loved one enjoyed classical rock music, "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane, "Time" by Pink Floyd, "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zepplin and "The Show Must Go On" by Queen are just some of the all-time favorites that you can choose from. For many, they don't want a somber affair for their final send off and even prefer to have light-hearted tunes by numbers from Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters and AC/DC. The trend for funeral music is changing with a more personalized touch. According the many funeral directors, many of the recently departed have requested tunes like "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen be played for their memorial music for a humorous effect. All around, the scene of funeral music is taking a whole new approach from somber to light-hearted. When you think about it, this innovative approach can help lighten the burden for families and friends.
Modern Funeral Music
Modern funeral songs are played at funeral because they don't focus on the grief. Instead, these songs are played as a tribute to a loved one while reminding the survivors that life is precious and worth living. When it comes to modern funeral songs, there are many options. You can choose a song's lyrics to describe the personality of a loved one or one that just is meaningful for you and your family. Here's a list of some popular modern songs that you can choose from:
- "Make You Feel My Love" by Adele
- "Back To Black" by Amy Winehouse
- "When You're Gone" by Avril Lavinge
- "Halo" by Beyonce
- "End Of The Road" by Boyz II Men
- "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion
- "The Voice Within" by Christina Aguilera
Choosing funeral music and memorial music doesn't have to be a daunting task. Just go with what you feel captures the essence of a loved one and enhances the funeral experience. With the right funeral music, you'll be setting the tone for a memorable service that will live on in the hearts and minds of both family and friends.
There are no products matching the selection.